Who pays the medical bills and other losses after a car crash?

On Behalf of | Jun 2, 2021 | Uncategorized |

If you’re involved in a car crash with another driver, one of the first questions you’ll have is how you’re going to get your medical bills and other losses covered. It’s not your fault that another person wasn’t paying attention and hit you, so it is reasonable to ask that they cover your expenses.

Most of the time, victims of motor vehicle accidents have the option to file a claim against the other person’s insurance coverage. This is the most common way to seek compensation and to get coverage for medical bills, lost wages, damage to your vehicle and other losses.

Unfortunately, there are times when this isn’t an option. For instance, if a driver did not carry auto insurance or if the auto insurance doesn’t cover enough, you may need to pursue other options to get the money that you need to move forward with your life.

How can you get compensated if the driver doesn’t have insurance (or doesn’t have enough?)

There are usually a few other options to help you cover your losses. One option is to use your own auto insurance if you have underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage. In that case, your insurance provider will handle your claim and pay out based on your policy’s benefits plan.

You may also use your own health insurance coverage to take care of medical bills. This may leave you with deductibles or copays, but combined with Med Pay or personal injury protection insurance, you may have enough to cover your losses and future medical expenses as well.

Finally, if this isn’t going to be enough, you do have the option to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against the other driver.

What happens if you need to pursue a lawsuit?

If you pursue a lawsuit, your attorney will talk to you about the likelihood of recovering the compensation you need before you begin. There are several options for getting your care and financial losses covered, so a personal injury lawsuit is usually one of the last options. Regardless, if you need to hold the other person responsible and there are no other solutions, your attorney can help you take the case to court.